Monday, July 29, 2013

Introvert Projects While Husband is Away

It's 6:20 am and I'm dressed and ready for the day. I still need to make an aeropress of the Moonshine Coffee David got me in Minneapolis, but my rhubarb is roasting for the Nutty Rhubarb Oatmeal I'm trying out by Pastry Affair. Today is going to start well, at the very least.

For the first half of the week David will be camp speaker at a little Bible camp a few hours north of us, so I will be going to work each day and coming home to a blank canvas of introverted possibilities.

I think tonight I will be purging my bathroom closet. When I got married, many well-meaning ladies from our church got me gifts of highly-fragrant lotions. I don't know, maybe it's a subtle way for Christian ladies to say "congratulations, you get to have sex!" but instead of lingerie gifts, which are equally awkward, they buy these young brides lotions that reek like a bordello. Oi. I have a sensitive nose to begin with, and on top of that, none of these lotions smell like me. I can just see it now, a romantic evening alone with my husband, our eyes meet, he takes a step to close the 20-foot gap between us, but before he can, he meets the oppressive cloud of artificial fragrance and steps back in fear and dread.

No. Thank. You.

I could never throw these smelly perfumed gifts away before, they just formed a large pile in a wicker basket in the bathroom closet, never touched, and for heaven's sake, NEVER opened. Now I have overcome the mental barrier I had against getting rid of it all. By deciding to a) go all natural and eliminate artificial/harmful chemicals from all my foods and beauty products, and b) simplify my life so that I live with less and am happy with less, I can now do a purposeful purge without guilt.

Along with the perfume grenades (otherwise known as any lotion/body wash made by VS or B&BW) I will be purging my cosmetics. I'll be ridding myself of anything I haven't used in the last 6 months, and anything older than 2 years. Cosmetics do expire, and those that don't change at all in the course of a few years are probably LOADED with chemicals.

I will reduce my makeup down to that which can easily fit in one makeup bag. That's my commitment. I wear so little of it now anyway, I should easily be able to fulfill it.

As for smelly lotions, they is gone, baby, gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment